In the evening after attending an inspiring talk by Dr Stephen Turner, a physicist-turned-DNA sequencer,
who highlighted that the toughest decision (that he has to make over and over again) is just keep going, I am blessed with an opportunity to learn from Joi Ito through his inspiring TED talk.
A self-declared 3x college dropout, Joi highlighted the following lessons:
1. Learning over education. By defining education as what people do to you versus learning as what you do for yourself, it is clear that learning matters much more than education for your survival and pursuits in creativity, innovation and entrepreneurship.
2. Meta learning is highly important. Learn how to learn.
3. Deploy or die. “You have to get it into the real world to have it actually count.”
4. Be connected. Connect ideas, connect inter-disciplinary fields, bridge geographical and cultural boundaries. Connect yourself to the world, connect people and you will be able to innovate valuable things in the process.
5. Be super present. Your future depends on now.